Thursday, December 1, 2016

Posted by \m/ The Power of the Riff \m/ | File under :

In the Riff we Trust with MINDWARS!


THE RIFF WHICH MADE YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GUITAR IS?

This is a tough one, because I think there are a few.  My first "metal" album was Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies when I was 8 or 9 years old.  I loved the title track Billion Dollar Babies.  However, I didn't start playing the guitar until I was 12 and my first concert at the same age was KISS.  I think the RIFF that stuck in my head was probably Detroit Rock City or Love Her All I Can from Dressed to Kill.

WHAT IS THE FIRST RIFF YOU LEARNED TO PLAY?

It's gotta be Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water.  I was taught a Fleetwood Mac song first, but the first RIFF I figured out on my own was Smoke on the Water.  I have a feeling most guitarists my age might say the same thing.



YOUR TOP THREE METAL RIFFERS ARE?

Without a doubt the number one RIFFER is Tony Iommi.  He is by far the best RIFFER.  After that, it might be a bit surprising, but Steve Harris.  I know, he plays bass, but he also wrote the majority of early Maiden and the RIFFS that Murray, Stratton, and Smith play on the first two albums are insane!!!  Third, let me see…I am a big Schenker fan, but mostly for his tasty solos and song writing and the same can be said about Jimmy Page.  James Hetfield paved the way for speed and thrash metal with his RIFFS from the first three Metallica albums, but I think some of the best early thrash/speed RIFFS came from Jeff Henneman.

WHO IS THE MASTER OF THE RIFF?

Tony Iommi…HANDS DOWN!!!

THE RIFF WHICH IS THE SOUNDTRACK TO YOUR LIFE IS?

It's not really a metal RIFF, but I think I would say Kashmir by Zeppelin.  The prodding, droning, and heaviness off the RIFF, song, and lyrics are mesmerizing!



THE RIFF YOU WISH YOU WROTE IS?

Probably War Pigs or really most any Sabbath song.  Tony has written some of the most timeless heavy RIFFS.  Electric Funeral, Into the Void, Symptom of the Universe, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Hole in the Sky, Tomorrow's End…the list goes on and on.

THE WORST METAL RIFF EVER IS?

Well, it is probably one of their most popular songs and the song that broke it big for them, but I must say Breaking the Law is awful!

RIFF FOR RIFF YOUR FIVE FAVOURITE ALBUMS ARE?

Ok, now this is tough.  Top 5?  Wow…ok, here goes…

Black Sabbath - Supernaut
Slayer - Alter of Sacifice
Iron Maiden - Purgatory
Discharge - State Violence - State Control
Motorhead - Jailbait




A NON METALHEAD ASKS YOU WHAT DOES METAL SOUND LIKE, THE RIFF YOU PLAY THEM IS?

It's gotta be Motorhead Ace of Spades.  In encompasses everything metal.  Great riff, awesome base, aggressive vocals, great lyrics…it's fast, but not too fast, it's heavy but not too dark, it makes you bang your head and tap your foot.  Not my favorite song, but for someone who has never heard metal would get the idea!

THE RIFF YOU WANT PLAYED AT YOUR FUNERAL IS?

Another great question.  My dad wanted and I played Norman Greenbaum's Spirit in the Sky at his funeral.  The late Keith Deen from Holy Terror always said he wanted Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb…I hope someone did play it at his funeral.  As for me?  Not because of the RIFF, but because of the song…Zeppelin's Ramble On.  However, after everyone mellows out, I want Black Sabbath's After Forever blasting through the speakers!



WHAT'S SO GREAT ABOUT RIFFS ANYWAY?

Haha!  RIFFS are the song!  Without a great RIFF, the song would be hollow…it would be weak…it would be bass, drums, and vocals.  Not that bass, drums, and vocals aren't needed, but it is the RIFF that captures the imagination, it propels the listener into a different dimension, it gives the song depth and structure…IT IS THE RIFF THAT FEEDS THE SOUL!!!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment