Saturday, July 23, 2016

Posted by \m/ The Power of the Riff \m/ | File under :

 
We put the all important questions to War Curse!


THE RIFF WHICH MADE YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GUITAR IS?

I started begging for a guitar in 3rd grade. I'm 33 now. So thinking back that far is tough. Probably the intro riff to Metallica's Seek and Destroy though. It was one of the first riffs I was dying to learn how to play. 



WHAT IS THE FIRST RIFF YOU LEARNED TO PLAY?

Smoke on the Water. People can make fun of that riff all they'd like but I challenge them to write a better song. 



YOUR TOP THREE METAL RIFFERS ARE?

Dave Mustaine, Eric Peterson / Alex Skolnick, James Hetfield



WHO IS THE MASTER OF THE RIFF?

I go back and forth on this one. Tony Iommi and Richie Blackmore definitely set the bar, but it's real hard to deny the man who wrote Holy Wars, Hanger 18, and still puts out crushing riffs to this day. I'm giving it to Dave Mustaine. 



THE RIFF WHICH IS THE SOUNDTRACK TO YOUR LIFE IS?

The intro to Black Sabbath's War Pigs. Sometimes it feels like it's dragging on, it's kind of ugly, it's pretty cool, and I'm always waiting for it to pick up, just like my life. 



THE RIFF YOU WISH YOU WROTE IS?

The Toxic Waltz by Exodus. The second that intro riff hits you know all hell is about to break loose. 





THE WORST METAL RIFF EVER IS?

Anything played in an inaudible tuning on an 8 string guitar. What's the point in writing a riff if no one can hear what you're playing? 





RIFF FOR RIFF YOUR FIVE FAVOURITE ALBUMS ARE?

Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Rainbow - Rising
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Testament - The Legacy
Metal Church - The Dark

 



A NON METALHEAD ASKS YOU WHAT DOES METAL SOUND LIKE, THE RIFF YOU PLAY THEM IS?

Slayer - Angel of Death





THE RIFF YOU WANT PLAYED AT YOUR FUNERAL IS?

Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name. But really, I'll be dead so play whatever you want. Put on St. Anger for all I care. I won't hear it. 



WHAT'S SO GREAT ABOUT RIFFS ANYWAY?

Without the riff you don't have a song. You can learn all of the fancy guitar tricks in the world, find the best drummer, write the coolest lyrics, but everything revolves around the riff. When I'm watching an up and coming metal band perform for the first time I want a screaming tube amp to rip my face off and a riff to send me running for the merch table. Everyone remembers a killer riff.

https://www.facebook.com/warcursemetal/

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment